My Favorite Content Marketing Video: Carmen Hill
Hello and welcome to the final installment of our series, My Favorite Content Marketing Video. We’ve had a great run with 20 weeks of inspiration, education and amazing examples of branded video content. I’m planning to do a recap post in the coming weeks that delves into the behind-the-scenes to show you how the series was planned and executed with DivvyHQ.
Carmen Hill’s Favorite Content Marketing Video
If you’ve attended any number of content marketing conferences in the last few years, there’s a good chance that you’ve seen Tim Washer, Creative Director at Cisco, speak about the importance and power of infusing humor into a brand’s personality and content. Before landing at Cisco, Tim’s colorful career has included selling copiers, studying improv under Amy Poehler, stand-up comedy and comedy writing for such shows as SNL, Conan, The Onion, and Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.
Once at Cisco, he immediately started to challenge the status quo of dry, technical content that was the norm in the IT hardware realm. In a recent video interview for the Content Marketing Institute, Tim says, “It’s not companies that are buying from us. It’s people. And 73% of all people who read B2B blogs are people. Why not give them the gift of entertainment, and don’t ask for anything in return.”
Under Tim’s direction, several of Cisco’s videos and content marketing campaigns have won awards and been featured in The New York Times, WSJ, Ad Age, ADWEEK and Fast Company. One such video has been Carmen Hill’s favorite for years.
“This video is an oldie, but I love it for several reasons. The most obvious is that it’s an unexpected approach from a B2B tech company. Instead of boring speeds and feeds, it uses humor. The whole concept is so hilariously absurd. Secondly, it didn’t cost a fortune. They just found some old photos and added a great voiceover. Lastly, it’s memorable. Tim shared this in a talk that I saw almost 5 years ago, and I still remember the name of the router!”
– Carmen Hill
Here’s the final list of favorite videos from the top experts in the content marketing industry. Grab some popcorn and enjoy!
- Series Intro & Brody Dorland’s Favorite Content Marketing Video – Whiteboard Friday by Moz
- Jay Baer – “How to Get More Views on YouTube” by Sunny Lenarduzzi
- Ahava Leibtag – “If We Could See Inside Others’ Hearts: Life in 4 Minutes” by Cleveland Clinic
- Andy Crestodina – “Fix Your Funnel: 15 Things To Remove From Your Website Immediately” by Orbit Media Studios
- “It Can Wait” – A Video from AT&T & Teen Vogue that could save your life
- Joe Pulizzi – “How John Deere Uses Content to Educate Customers” by the Content Marketing Institute
- Michael Brenner – “Shooting Video with an iPhone” by Wistia
- Paul Roetzer – “The Clues to a Great Story” – TED Talk by Andrew Stanton
- Nick Westergaard – “The Story of Content: Rise of the New Marketing” by the Content Marketing Institute
- Robert Rose – “Philip Kotler: Marketing Strategy”
- AJ Huisman – “Meet the Mast Brothers” by Cool Hunting
- Cathy McPhillips – “John Cleese on Creativity – CMWorld 2015 Keynote” by the Content Marketing Institute
- Jeff Julian – “The Content Marketing Spectrum” by Robert Rose
- Pamela Muldoon – “The Man & The Dog” by FATH
- John Hall – “How Great Leaders Inspire Action” by Simon Sinek
- Gini Dietrich – “Bloopers: Baked In A Buttery Flaky Crust” by Dysart’s Restaurants
HUGE thanks to all our industry friends who submitted videos for this series!
Happy Holidays from the DivvyHQ crew!